ShakeOut, Don’t Freak Out!
At 10:20 a.m. on October 20, 2016, thousands of Oregonians will “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” in The Great Oregon ShakeOut, the state’s largest earthquake drill ever! All businesses are encouraged to participate in the drill (or plan a more extensive exercise) and to inform the public about the drill. Major earthquakes may happen anywhere you live, work, or travel. The ShakeOut is our chance to practice how to protect ourselves, and for everyone to become prepared. The goal is to prevent a major earthquake from becoming a catastrophe for you, your organization, and your community. Why is a “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” drill important? To respond quickly you must practice often. You may only have seconds to protect yourself in an earthquake before strong shaking knocks you down, or something falls on you.
Millions of people worldwide have participated in Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills since 2008. The Great Oregon ShakeOut is held on the third Thursday of October each year. Everyone can participate! Individuals, families, businesses, schools, colleges, government agencies and organizations are all invited to register.
Register today at ShakeOut.org/oregon
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Here are a few suggestions for what businesses can do to participate in the ShakeOut. Learn more at ShakeOut.org/oregon/howtoparticipate.
Plan Your Drill:
- Register at ShakeOut.org/oregon/register to be counted as participating, get email updates, and more.
- Download a Drill Broadcast recording from ShakeOut.org/oregon/drill/broadcast.
- Have a “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” drill at 10:20 a.m. on October 20. You can also practice other aspects of your emergency plan.
- Discuss what you learned and make improvements.
Get Prepared for Earthquakes:
- Check your emergency supplies and equipment; make sure they are accessible and functional.
- Ask departments to inspect facilities for items that might fall and cause injury and secure them.
- Encourage employees to prepare at home.
- Provide first aid and response training for staff.
Share the ShakeOut: